Monday, June 1, 2015

I-64 Bridge Projects Start In Richmond

COLONIAL HEIGHTS—The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) begins two projects in the next month that are expected to cause overnight and weekend traffic impacts. VDOT crews are working to restore the I-64 Shockoe Valley Bridge near mile marker 190 and the I-64 bridge over I-195 at the Bryan Park interchange near mile marker 186. “The I-64 bridge restorations project will extend the life of the existing structures,” said construction manager, Keith Rider, P.E., “Motorists will enjoy a much smoother driving surface on the Shockoe Valley Bridge by September and on I-64 over I-195 by next summer.”
The Shockoe Valley Bridge project will include rehabilitating the 65-year-old bridge, resurfacing and bridgejoint replacement. The work is expected to begin this week. Resurfacing is expected to be complete by September with construction lasting through November 2015. Drivers can expect single and double lane closures during weeknights and weekends. Weeknight closures will be from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and weekend closures will be from 8 p.m. Fridays to 5 a.m. Mondays. Drivers are strongly encouraged to use alternate routes to bypass the construction.
From I-64 east (Goochland/Henrico): There are three alternate routes:
• Access Route 288 south at exit 175 in Goochland to reach Chesterfield County locations and to re-enter I-95 at exit 62
• Access I-295 at exit 177 to reach I-95 north or I-64 east of Richmond
• Access I-195 south at exit 186 in Richmond to reach downtown destinations, Route 76/Powhite Parkway Extension (toll) through Chesterfield County or the Downtown Expressway (toll).
From I-64 west (Henrico): Access I-295 at exit 200 to reach I-95 north/south or I-64 west of Richmond.
The I-64 bridge over I-195 project will include rehabilitating the 48-year-old structure, replacing deteriorating surfaces, repairing structural steel, patching the substructure and replacing guardrail with delineators and rumble strips. Construction began in March 2015 and is expected to be complete by summer 2016.  Drivers should expect major delays and are strongly encouraged to use alternate routes or posted detours to bypass the construction near the Bryan Park interchange beginning in mid-June.  
Through traffic from I-95 south (Henrico): Access I-295 at exit 84 to reach I-64 east/west or areas south of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 south to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 south at exit 46 in Prince George County.
Through traffic from I-95 north (Prince George): Access I-295 at exit 46 to reach I-64 east/west or areas north of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 north to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 north at exit 84 in Henrico County.  

For more information about the I-64 Richmond Bridge Restorations project or to sign up for project updates, visit http://www.i64bridges.org. Anyone with questions about the project can call VDOT’s customer service center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).

Real-time listings of road conditions and closures in Virginia are available on VDOT’s 24-hour traffic and travel information website, www.511Virginia.org or by calling 511. Richmond area traffic information is also available on Twitter @511centralVA.

No comments:

Post a Comment