Thursday, May 25, 2017

Jim’s Journeys … Traveling the TTA Highway

Hey Everybody!

Man has it been a super busy month for your good buddy Jim!  I've been all over the state at classes, conventions and even doing some individual training sessions in Charlottesville and Richmond!

At the end of April UVA TTA teamed with Kimley-Horn to use their Roadway Departure Crash Countermeasure Tool to help Charlottesville and Richmond analyze safety solutions for selected
traffic corridors.  

By looking at the crash information collected and running that information through the Countermeasure Tool cities can see what safety measures can be taken to help make those roads safer for drivers.  

We received some great feedback on the program and hopefully we'll be able to work more with our cities to make our streets safer!

In mid May I traveled with Beth O'Donnell to the American Public Works Association conference in Fredericksburg.  It was great to meet new people and see some of the great products that are available for road repair and new safety
devices for our work zones.  It was also nice to run into a few of those busy Public Works Directors and get a chance to introduce myself and talk about all the great LTAP classes we have available.  I look forward to meeting everybody face to face and talking specifically about your department's training needs.

And just this week I was lucky enough to be an instructor at UVA's Transportation Project Management Institute (TPMI).  This was my fourth year teaching listening and team work skills to the students and we had a great time.  I like to think that the students love my session because it is fast paced, fun and educational.  But part of me thinks they just like it because they get to play outside for 90 minutes.  Either way, we had fun, we learned how to brainstorm and work as a team and I didn't get sunburned.  A victory in every sense of the word!

It'll be a busy summer at the Transportation Training Academy- I'm heading to Fairfax, Charlottesville and Arlington in the next few weeks and later this summer our office will be hosting the Local Technical Assistance Programs' National meeting in Portsmouth. But that doesn't mean I don't have time for our local partners!  If you have an questions, or want me to stop by your office to talk about training contact me at jwz9m@virginia.edu and we can schedule a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment