RICHMOND, Va. – The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) will host nine meetings across the Commonwealth and is inviting the public to share feedback on transportation projects that have been scored and recommended for funding, as well as other transportation initiatives. Members of the community may participate by attending public meetings or submitting comments online, by email, or by mail.
The public will have an opportunity to learn and share feedback about:
- The Draft FY 2020-2025 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP), which allocates public funds to highway, road, bridge, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, public transportation, and transportation demand management projects. The Draft FY 2020-2025 SYIP identifies projects proposed for inclusion in the final program, which will be approved at the CTB’s June meeting. All federally eligible projects in the SYIP will be included in the federally required Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) to document how Virginia will obligate its federal funds.
- Following Virginia’s third round of SMART SCALE, a data-driven project prioritization process that directs limited funding to the most critical transportation needs, the public can share feedback on projects that have been scored and recommended for funding. The third round of SMART SCALE garnered a record number of applications last fall. Projects are scored using the following factors: safety, congestion reduction, accessibility, land use, environmental quality, and economic development.
- Comments will also be accepted for projects valued over $25 million.
- VTrans, Virginia’s long-range, statewide, multimodal transportation plan, outlines a vision and goals for transportation in the Commonwealth. The plan will identify transportation investment priorities and guides transportation agencies’ strategies and programs. The VTrans open house will begin at 3 p.m. at each meeting location (except in Northern Virginia and Fredericksburg, which will begin at 5 p.m.).
Additionally, meetings in the Northern Virginia and Fredericksburg districts will include:
- A required joint meeting with the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, the Virginia Railway Express, and the Commonwealth Transportation Board (applies only to the meeting in the Northern Virginia District); and
- The I-95 Corridor Study, as requested by the General Assembly via similar resolutions in the 2019 Session (SJR 276 and HJR 581). The resolutions request the CTB to study the portion of the Interstate 95 corridor between the Thornburg interchange (Exit 118) and the Springfield interchange (Exit 170) and potential financing options for improvements thereof (applies to both meetings in the Northern Virginia and Fredericksburg districts).
The public meetings will begin at 4 p.m. in each of the locations except as noted below (a formal comment period will be held at each meeting):
Thursday, April 11, 2019Lynchburg District
Holiday Inn Lynchburg
601 Main Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504
Monday, April 15, 2019Hampton Roads District
Hampton Roads District Office Auditorium
7511 Burbage Drive
Suffolk, VA 23435
Monday, April 22, 2019Staunton District
Blue Ridge Community College
Plecker Center for Continuing Education
One College Lane
Weyers Cave, VA 24486
Tuesday, April 23, 2019Bristol District
Higher Education Center
One Partnership Circle
Abingdon, VA 24210
Thursday, April 25, 2019Richmond District
Richmond Marriott –Short Pump
4240 Dominion Boulevard
Glen Allen, VA 23060
Monday, May 6, 2019Culpeper District
Culpeper District Auditorium
1601 Orange Road
Culpeper, VA 22701
Tuesday, May 7, 2019Salem District
Holiday Inn Tanglewood
4468 Starkey Road
Roanoke, VA 24018
Thursday, May 9, 2019Fredericksburg District
James Monroe High School
2300 Washington Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
**meeting begins at 6 p.m.
Monday, May 13, 2019NOVA District
Northern Virginia District Office
Potomac Conference Room
4975 Alliance Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
**meeting begins at 6 p.m.
Meeting materials will be available at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/planning/springmeetings/default.asp beginning April 11, 2019.
- Six-Year Improvement Program:
- VTrans: http://www.VTrans.org
You can also submit your comments via email or mail by May 27, 2019, to:
- For roads and highways: Six-YearProgram@VDOT.Virginia.govor Infrastructure Investment Director, Virginia Department of Transportation, 1401 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219.
- For transit and rail: DRPTPR@drpt.virginia.govor Public Information Office, Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, 600 East Main Street, Suite 2102, Richmond, VA 23219.
For additional information about the CTB, visit http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/.