Wednesday, August 10, 2016

'A good wander unveils the wonder of a city': On Urban Walking

.. a pedestrian at night

‘Walking reveals layers of history’

London at first light is amazing. There is time to appreciate the architecture, to watch the river, to revel in the nooks and crannies and hidden bits of green. It is possible to walk the pavements at whatever pace desired without the impediment of other people and without breathing in the choking pollution of rush hour traffic. Layers of history are revealed in tiny details. A poor man’s time travel. (Anonymous)

‘Urban walking for me is therapy’

I live in Vienna and not a single day goes by where I don’t walk. Walking to work or university is for me a mental therapy, preparing for what I need to do during the coming hours. When I feel down, I go to the city centre. Scrolling through the different gardens and look at the architecture always cheers me up. Especially when I feel lonely the combination of parks, architecture and tourists help me feel like I’m not that alone. (Alejandro Sosa, 29)

‘The paving stones echo my heartbeats’

As I walk along the city centre streets the paving stones echo my heartbeats. Pavement cafes jingle with drinking glasses. Traffic stops and starts, time hangs. Aimless walkers look round and absorb the scene, the smell, and the sound of exhaust fumes as the tall buildings watch. Newcastle upon Tyne is a city that combines the ills of an urban space with an enduring love of life. (Asit Maitra)

Read the rest of the stories here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment