Friday, April 14, 2017

Jim’s Journeys … Traveling the TTA Highway

Hey everybody!

Sorry I haven't been out much, but you guys have been keeping me busy busy busy with classes.  Just this month I've had full classes in Dinwiddie, Charlottesville, Arlington and Henrico.


I was pretty sure we were going to run out of room at our class in Dinwiddie (see photo), but we managed to get through and get everybody up to date on their work zone certification cards.

I did make it out to the Northern Neck this week and if there is one thing I've learned it is that Public Works Directors and City Managers are in more meetings than anybody else in government.  As a thank you for their dedication and hard work I think we should get together and get some gifts to show our appreciation.  Given the amount of time in meetings I think the following gifts would be appropriate:

1) Sun Lamps- Stuck inside in meeting all day so sunlight, even artificial, will do these guys a lot of good.

2) Lumbar Support Pillows- So much time sitting isn't good for your back- take it from a guy who spends most of his time in his car- so get that special Public Works Director in your life a pillow so he doesn't have to miss future meetings with a stiff back.

3) Starbucks Gift Card- If his meetings are as boring as the ones we have in our TTA offices then the caffeine will definitely be appreciated.

I did have a good visit Neiman Young, the County Administrator from King George County.  I tell you what, the secret to a good visit is finding the one guy who knows everything about anything  that might be going on in a county or city.  Neiman Young is that guy in King George County.  I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing from him soon or at least heading up to King George for a class by years end.

Do you need any training from TTA?  Have any questions you don't know where to find the answers?  Are you friend with your area's Neiman Young and want me to meet with him or her?  Contact me at jwz9m@virginia.edu and we can schedule a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment